at Nowshera, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa 4 June 2016
The Iqbal International Institute for Research and Dialogue (IRD), IIU in collaboration with International Research Council for Religious Affairs, (IRCRA), Nowshera convened a one day seminar on “Iqbal’s Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam at Taj Mahal Inn, Nowshera, KPK, on 4 June 2016. The seminar was attended by religious scholars, ulama and faculty members of University of Peshawar and the Abdul Wali Khan University, Mardan.
Maulana Muhammad Israr Madni, President, IRCRA, Nowshera expressed his gratitude and thanked Dr. Husnul Amin, Executive Director-IRD to sponsor the seminar. He also thanked Dr. Ahmad Yousaf A. Al-Draiweesh, President, IIU to send his team for an intellectual discussion on the topic. He shared his views and thoughts with the participants of seminar and thanked them of their participation.
Dr. Husnul Amin, Executive Director, IRD briefly introduced the objectives and mission of IRD and informed them that this institute started its functions in January 2008. It is a constituent unit of the International Islamic University, Islamabad. He added that Allama Iqbal gave his message to the inhabitants of sub-continent through his poetry. The Europe has the advance technology in science, technology, medical, politics, military power so our youth may also move towards in this field. The dialogues between Allama Iqbal and Maulana Madni were also described. On behalf of Iqbal International Institute for Research & Dialogue (IRD) and International Islamic University, Islamabad, Dr. Amin thanked the management of ICRCRA, Nowshera.
Maulana Habib Ullah Haqqani, Jamiah Darul Aloom Haqqania, Akora Khattak, Maulana Hamid-ul-Haq Haqqani, and Maulana Muhammad Jan, Nowshera enlightened the participants of the thoughts of Iqbal.
Prof. Dr. Khalid Masud, former Chairman, Council of Islamic Ideology, Government of Pakistan delivered his keynote address and stated that why the ulama were bound to understand and study Iqbal’s thoughts. He talked on the principle of Ijtihad, its circumstances, limitations and described the literal meaning of Ijtihad. He spoke on the modes of Ijtehad to discover the law that is either stated explicitly in the primary sources or is implied by the texts, that is, discover it through literal interpretation. He stated that all the verses of the holy Quran are definitive with respect to their authenticity or transmission. Ijtehad is relevant where-ever there is a possibility of text having more than one meaning. Such texts whether they are definitive probable with respect to transmission, or always probable with respect to meaning. The doors of Ijtehad were not closed
Dr. M. Khalid Masud focused on the following points in detail:-
- Movements of Sufism, self criticism, the role of innovation, imitation and jihadi movements
- Events of 18th century, stagnation and decay of Muslims of sub-continent
- Occupation of Europe, defeat of Nigeria, Senegal and downfall of Africa, the defeat was not political but it was educational and social defeat
- Against tradition and imperialism
- Nationalist movements in 17th century
- Revelation and common sense
- Importance of diversity
- Knowledge and Philosophy Ilm-ul-Kalam
- The regime of al-Mansur, Kingdom of Abbasids
- The failure of the Mutazilite Movement
- Fatawa Alamgiri, Hambli and Shafei
- Sir Syed Movement, Deoband Movement, Maulana Qasim Nanoti Movement, Contemporary Islamic Literary Movements
- Women Empowerment in 1920-25 – Women knock the door of courts for their rights
- Sermon of Allama Muhammad Iqbal about Ijtehad
- Nationalism and regionalism of Andalusia
- The doctrine of Abu Ishaq al-Shatibi about objectives of Shariah
- The Mongols shook the foundations of the Islamic Republics
- Effects of Imam Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah
Senator Maulana Sami-ul-Haq thanked both the institutions to holding such a wonderful seminar in his locality. He especially thanked Dr. Ahmad Yousaf A. Al-Draiweesh to sending his dedicated team for the cause of humanity in general and Islam in particular. He paid rich tributes for attachment of Dr. Mumtaz Ahmad with him and prayed Almighty Allah to rest his soul in Jannah.
IRD publications by the Rector, Professor Dr. Masoom Yasinzai and Souvenirs were presented to Senator Maulana Sami-ul-Haq and Chairman, IRCRA by Dr. Husnul Amin, Executive Director, IRD and Dr. M. Khalid Masud, former Chairman, CII, Islamabad.